Fashion Design (Professional Certificate)
The Fashion Design Professional Certificate Program is intended for students who wish to expand their theoretical knowledge and perfect their practical skills in fashion design within a fully structured training program that explores the different areas and professionalism in fashion’s global market. Students set off on both an educational and professional journey pushing the boundaries of creativity to find innovative solutions while building their professional portfolio.
Classes take place in Florence, listed as one of the world’s fashion capitals, offering students a constant source of inspiration from works of art and costume museums to art galleries and architecture. The city rich in history and vibrant, innovative energy is home to several luxury powerhouses including Emilio Pucci, Roberto Cavalli, Gucci, and Salvatore Ferragamo as well as many young international designers and independent fashion labels.
The Professional program puts a strong emphasis on creativity, originality, flawless technical skills, execution, and marketability. The multifaceted program is designed to promote a collaborative and interdisciplinary approach to learning rooted in the rich tradition of high-quality Italian and Florentine haute couture and craftsmanship. Advanced students are challenged with real-life scenarios that reproduce the actual working conditions of the fashion industry guided by experienced professionals in the field.
Classes are grounded in traditional techniques such as pattern drafting, sewing, and draping, combined with a range of innovative and cross-discipline methods using digital technology to create fashion illustrations, moodboards, and professional presentations. Students apply newly acquired skills as they experiment with shapes, colors, and materials to create a wide range of garments, from evening dresses to sportswear.
Facilities provide students with a computer lab equipped with the latest industry software and technology, classrooms equipped with design tools and instruments and material samples, and a library specifically focused on the fashion industry, including periodicals, books, press, and film.
Students who complete the LdM Fashion Design Professional certificate can not only find career opportunities as a fashion designer but may also apply their knowledge to professions such as retail buyer, stylist, retail manager, and fashion writer to name but a few.
PROFESSIONAL CERTIFICATE (Year 2)
1ST SEMESTER // FALL ONLY
• Accessory Design – 3 credits/90 hours
• Fashion Lab: Experimental Design – 3 credits/60 hours
• Advanced Pattern Development – 3 credits/90 hours
• Trend Forecasting – 3 credits/45 hours
• Product Development – 3 credits/45 hours
2ND SEMESTER // SPRING ONLY
• Collection Development I – 3 credits/90 hours
• CAD for Fashion Design II – 3 credits/60 hours
• Portfolio Development – 3 credits/90 hours
• Interdisciplinary Design – 3 credits/60 hours
Choice of one of the following:
• Knitwear II – 3 credits/60 hours
• Fashion or Business elective – 3 credits/45 hours (to be selected by candidate)
– Lab equipped with mannequins and sewing machines
– Computer lab equipped with the latest industry software and technologies
– Classrooms equipped with design tools and instruments
– Material samples
– Library specifically focused on fashion