Product Design towards Sustainability
The Product Design towards Sustainability Certificate combines functional design and environmental awareness. Students will examine the philosophy of designing in order to comply with the principles of economic, social, and ecological sustainability.
The Program allows students to sharpen skills in technical 3D drawing, rendering and in creating specification sheets. They also focus on designing viable projects, using different methods of drawing and modeling.
The sustainable designer, increasingly in demand, makes responsible decisions fully aware of the long-term environmental impact of every aspect of the project, from development to maintenance.
Facilities include dedicated computer labs to design prototypes in class, a lab for the construction of designs and objects, and a continuously updated library of books and periodicals.
• Technical Drawing – 3 credits/45 hours
• Product Design II – 3 credits/90 hours
• Sustainable Design – 3 credits/60 hours
Students are required to choose two courses from the following:
• Aesthetics of Design: Theory and Practice – 3 credits/45 hours
• Design Materials – 3 credits/90 hours
• Introduction to Environmental Issues – 3 credits/45 hours
– Dedicated computer labs to design prototypes in class
– Lab for the construction of designs and objects
– Continuously updated library of books and magazines