Architecture in Urban Context
The Architecture in Urban Context Certificate is focused on the study of sustainable architectural design and its interaction within an urban context.
Architectural context is studied as a harmonious dialogue with existing structures taking into consideration the history, beliefs, and needs of a community. The goal is to pursue an ethical and responsible approach to the study of both traditional and innovative technologies, using local materials to find efficient and sustainable solutions for new projects. Students analyze the works of the great masters of contemporary architecture and the major international trends in order to draw inspiration while they create imaginative and practical solutions.
The Program teaches students skills in technical and 3D drawings, supplemented by the factors that must be considered during the design and implementation process of complex architectural projects.
LdM is in the unique position to offer the city of Florence and the surrounding areas as the students’ living subject. Visits and studies in the field are vital to the development of specific projects aimed at investigating architectural structures, from private homes to public spaces and buildings; students also learn to always be aware of the emotional component inherent in every physical place.
Facilities include a computer lab equipped with the latest industry software and technologies, classrooms equipped with design instruments, a continuously updated library of books and periodicals, and material samples.
• Public Space Design – 3 credits/90 hours
• Sustainable Architecture – 3 credits/90 hours
• Architecture in its Environment – 3 credits/90 hours
Students are required to choose two courses from the following:
• Technical Drawing – 3 credits/45 hours
• Architecture Studio: Special Topics – 3 credits/90 hours
• Contemporary Architecture – 3 credits/45 hours
– Computer lab equipped with the latest industry software and technologies
– Classrooms equipped with design instruments
– Continuously updated library of books and magazines
– Material samples